Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Can plants grow without oxygen? by Fa'amanu

Can plants grow without oxygen? My hypothesis is that the plant might not grow without oxygen.

I planted two bean plants, one with oxygen and one with no oxygen. I tied it up with a plastic bag.
I wanted to find out if plants can grow without oxygen.

I noticed that the plant went curly when it grew inside the plastic bag. I also noticed that the leaves of the bean plant were thin and small. When this plant grew it took so long to grow. The plant that was out the plastic bag grew very fast and well. It looked very healthy and strong. The next thing I noticed was the size of the plant. The plant that was out of the plastic bag was the size of a book. The one in the plastic bag was the size of a pencil.

I found out that the reason the bean plant inside the plastic bag grew really slow because it didn't have any oxygen in the plastic bag. The bean plant in the plastic bag did not have any space to grow that's why it grew curly. The reason the leaves were thin and small was because it was not strong and healthy. I still think that if the plant had no oxygen it would not grow, but there were holes in the plastic bag that's why it grew a little bit.
I found out the plants need oxygen, sunlight, water and nutrients to grow big and healthy.

1 comment:

RKELLY said...

Great work, Fa'amanu - this is a well written report. I like the way you stated why you think the plant in the plastic bag grew at all.